Living in multifamily housing has several benefits over single-family housing, including options that can accommodate a variety of lifestyles, increased connectivity with services and community, less property maintenance, and often lower utility costs.
EWEB offers incentives for retrofitting older multifamily buildings with electric heat and incentives for building efficient new construction. A multifamily building is defined as a building with five or more units within the same structure, and where the units are vertically stacked. Townhouse-style homes that are side by side and share walls but do not vertically overlap may be considered single-family.
Rebate: $0.80 per square foot of insulation (not to exceed 50 percent of the job cost), and $40 for insulated entry doors.
Loan: Up to $4,000 zero-interest loan for individually-owned condos, with a loan cap of $20,000 per customer. For multifamily building owners, loans are available (currently 4 percent, subject to change), with the maximum loan amount determined by project details.
- Loan terms: Under $5K is 48 month term and $5K and over is 60 month term.
- EWEB requires ALL homeowners be loan applicants. Missing home owner applications will delay your loan application process.
Requirements: Space must have primary electric heat and be poorly insulated (R-19 or less in the ceiling, R-11 or less in the floor, and R-0 in the walls). Condo owners must choose either a rebate or a loan, not both; multifamily building owners can choose both a rebate and a market-rate loan.
Rebate: $4 per square foot of high-performance windows
Loan: Up to $4,000 zero-interest loan for individually-owned condos, with a loan cap of $20,000 per customer. For multifamily building owners, loans are available (currently 4% percent subject to change), with the maximum loan amount determined by project details.
Requirements: Space must have primary electric heat and have pre-existing single pane windows or metal-framed double pane windows. For rebate, new windows must have U-factor ≤.22, or glass patio doors with U-factor ≤.25. For loan, new windows must have U-factor ≤.25, or glass patio doors or obscured windows with U-factor ≤.30. Condo owners must choose either a rebate or a loan, not both; multifamily building owners can choose both a rebate and a market-rate loan.
Packaged Terminal Heat Pumps:
Packaged Terminal Heat Pump (PTHP) units are a convenient all-in-one heating and cooling solution. They use about one-third less electricity than standard air conditioning and heating.
Rebate: $200 per unit
Requirements: Space must be served by a pre-existing packaged terminal air conditioner or zonal electric-resistance heater. The installed system must be AHRI certified.
Rebate: $100 for ultra-high efficiency toilets (≤1.0 gallons per flush) or $50 for high efficiency toilets (≤1.28 gallons per flush)
Requirements: Must be an EWEB water customer. Pre-existing toilet must use 1.6 gallons per flush or more. Installed toilet must be WaterSense labeled. Owner must complete an application. New construction is not eligible for the toilet rebate program.
Multifamily New Construction
If you are a developer or property owner building a multifamily housing building, you may be eligible for the following incentives:
- $450 per dwelling unit, if built to qualifying energy-efficient new construction programs (such as Earth Advantage, see here).
- $1,100 per dwelling unit, if built to qualifying Zero Energy Ready programs (such as Passive House or Earth Advantage ZE, see here).
- $125 per packaged terminal heat pump that is AHRI certified (not available if doing one of the above certifications)
- Lighting rebates are available for common area lighting that does not serve residential units. See our Lighting Rebates page for details.
- Rebates are available for electric vehicle charging stations. See our EV page for details.
A custom rebate may be available. Please contact EWEB for details.
- The building must have primary electric heat serving at least 50 percent of the space for insulation and window upgrades.
- The participant's signature on the residential application is required.
- The participant must be the EWEB account holder (or authorized on the account), owner or owner's representative.
- Loan approval is based on your EWEB credit history and credit report. Approved loan amounts may vary based on approved credit.
Steps to participate
1. Apply, and we will assign an EWEB project manager to assist you with your project.
- For homeowners retrofitting individually owned condos, apply online here. If you prefer to mail in your application, you can print one here.
- For multifamily building owners and new construction developers, apply online here. If you prefer to mail in your application, you can print one here. For low-interest loans from EWEB, complete and submit a loan application.
Paper applications can be mailed to:
EWEB Customer Solutions
500 E 4th Ave
Eugene, OR 97401
Applications can also be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Select a contractor to do the work. Here is a list of contractors who have recently participated in EWEB programs. You are welcome to use contractors who are not listed.
3. Receive pre-approval for your project. This reserves funding for the proposed project and is required for rebates over $2,500.
4. Complete the installation and submit an invoice and any additional documentation for EWEB review. Rebate payments will be mailed to either the authorized applicant or to a participating residential contractor approximately four to six weeks from the date EWEB approves the installation. Loan payments will be mailed approximately four to six weeks after the customer returns the signed loan contracts to EWEB.
Heating and cooling systems account for nearly half of a business' energy bills. We offer business rebates and loans that help keep your employees and customers comfortable year-round, while saving on your energy costs.
Take advantage of our lighting program to provide your business with energy-efficient and cost-effective lighting upgrades.
We offer rebates to help you upgrade your home's existing shell with energy-efficient products. Improve your insulation and you can conserve heating and save money over time.