Here in Eugene, we are fortunate to have one of the cleanest power portfolios in the nation, with almost no electricity sourced from fossil fuels. Eighty percent of Eugene's power comes from carbon-free hydroelectric energy. The remaining 20 percent of our power comes from conventional and renewable resources.
Understanding the resources, technology, and infrastructure that will be needed to meet customers' future electricity needs.
For more than 50 years, Carmen-Smith has reliably served our customers with low-cost, local hydropower. Relicensing the project includes upgrading much of the equipment, campground improvements, and more fish-friendly operations.
Our beautiful northwest rivers not only support diverse recreation, vibrant farms, and abundant fish and wildlife. They also are our primary source of clean, reliable and affordable energy.
Hydroelectric plants are a carbon-free generation resource. Because it's fueled by water, the Northwest's hydroelectric power base does not produce air pollution or greenhouse gas emissions. Thanks to hydropower, the region is able to avoid the greenhouse gas emissions equivalent to more than 10 million cars. That means we're all breathing easier thanks to the clean air benefits of hydropower.
Nearly 80 percent of Eugene's power comes from hydroelectric projects. EWEB customers own or co-own four such projects: Leaburg and Walterville hydroelectric projects, Stone Creek, and Carmen-Smith. The Carmen-Smith Hydroelectric Project, located 70 miles east of Eugene on the upper McKenzie River is our largest utility-owned power source, and has reliably served Eugene with low-cost hydropower since 1963.
Around 20 percent of your power comes from community-owned or co-owned projects, including the four hydroelectric projects mentioned above. Other owned or co-owned projects include:
We generate around 20 percent of the community's power using EWEB-owned or co-owned resources. The remaining 80 percent comes from power purchase agreements, with the vast majority of purchased power coming from Bonneville Power Administration. BPA is a non-profit federal agency operating in the Pacific Northwest.
BPA markets wholesale electrical power from 31 federal hydroelectric projects in the Northwest, one nonfederal nuclear plant and several small nonfederal power plants. Learn more about hydropower in the Northwest.
While the majority of purchased power comes from Bonneville Power Administration, we receive a small amount of power from a handful of other contracted resources, including:
In 2007 Oregon enacted Senate Bill 838, the Oregon Renewable Energy Act (Act), which created a Renewable Portfolio Standard (RPS) that all Oregon electric utilities must follow. The purpose of the RPS is to decrease Oregon utilities reliance on fossil fuels for electric generation and increase their use of renewable energy sources.
EWEB's RPS compliance obligation for 2022, after exemptions, is zero. Read our 2022 Oregon Renewable Portfolio Standard Compliance Report.
As a utility, EWEB utilizes the wholesale market to balance resource output with customer needs. As such, EWEB may, from time-to-time, have surplus wholesale electric energy to sell. In addition to internal management, EWEB provides wholesale trading and scheduling services for external parties looking to balance their portfolio.Helpful contacts
EWEB may, from time to time, have surplus energy to sell. EWEB hereby provides notice of the potential availability of surplus energy and capacity for durations of one day or longer. Available quantities and prices of surplus energy will vary.
EWEB will make such surplus electric energy sales under terms consistent with the Bonneville Power Administration's Policy on Determining Net Requirements of Pacific Northwest Utility Customers under Sections 5(b)(1) and 9(c) of the Northwest Power Act. For general contact information regarding EWEB's available surplus energy, please refer to EWEB's Wholesale Power Sales and Services page.
Requests for specific surplus energy will be accepted by EWEB through 2:00pm PST Monday through Friday, and may be submitted in writing via email to Katrina.Starr@EWEB.org and Chad.Hadley@EWEB.org.
If you have questions regarding the availability of surplus energy or inquiries related to specific offers, please contact Kevin Cardoza at (541) 685-7338 or the Day Ahead Traders line at (541) 685-7556.
Managing peak electricity demand is a critical component of achieving climate recovery goals and keeping energy affordable for all customers.
As a public utility, we share our customers' values around environmental stewardship.
Here are some of the ways we work proactively to keep the lights on and the tap water flowing.