Skip to Content

Related News

  • Related News

  • Community members can test out climate-friendly e-bikes at E-Bike Expo on Saturday

    EWEB encourages Eugene residents to ride into summer on clean, accessible e-bikes, with a $300 e-bike rebate.

    Find Out More
  • EWEB Hosts Dinner to Appreciate Customers of the McKenzie River Valley

    EWEB hosted a customer appreciation dinner at the Walterville Community Center on Thursday, May 23, in place of its yearly upriver Board meeting. The event allowed customers, EWEB Commissioners, and staff to share a meal and openly discuss topics most relevant to the McKenzie Valley community.

    Find Out More
  • EWEB bids a fond farewell to College Hill Reservoir and prepares for modern drinking water storage tanks

    Several hundred Eugene residents came together on May 30 for a Farewell Celebration at EWEB’s College Hill Reservoir before demolition and construction to build modern drinking water storage tanks begins later this year.

    Find Out More
  • EWEB opens application for 2024 Electric Mobility Community Grants

    Grant awards of up to $30,000 to cover costs associated with electric mobility projects.

    Find Out More
  • The Big Freeze 2024: After Action Report

    Winter 2024 was one for the records books, and we'll look back on it for years to come and say, "That was a doozy!"  The back-to-back January Ice Storms caused widespread damage to EWEB’s service territory, affecting approximately 38,000 customers. Preliminary repair costs were over $8 million, and additional repairs to transmission lines are still required. 

    Find Out More
  • Show More
EWEB Dedicates Historic Marker to Wiley Griffon, an Early African-American Pioneer

March 14, 2017

Frank Lawson, Eric Richardson and Greg Evans dedicate a new historic marker for Wiley Griffon, an early African-American pioneer.

Wiley Griffon, among Eugene's earliest African-American residents, came to Oregon from Texas in 1891. In 1909, he purchased a small home on riverfront property near what is now East 4th Ave. and Mill St. in Eugene, immediately west of our headquarters building.

Despite an exclusion clause in Oregon's constitution that made it illegal for African-Americans to settle in the state, Wiley Griffon was a well-known and popular resident.

He became a driver for Eugene's first streetcar system - a mule-powered trolley car that rumbled up Willamette Street, carrying passengers from the Southern Pacific depot to 11th Ave., and east to the University of Oregon. Local children saved their pennies to buy a nickel ride on Griffon's trolley, and he often rewarded them with an easy smile, hard candy, stories and an occasional free ride home. The mule car line never thrived, and by the turn of the century it died out entirely.

Griffon took a series of jobs following the end of the trolley line, including janitor at the university dorm, restaurant worker, and waiter on a railroad dining car. At the time of his death in 1913, at age 46, Griffon was working as a porter at the Elks Club. The location of his grave in Eugene's Masonic cemetery, and the fact that the Elks Club paid for his funeral, indicate the great respect this African-American pioneer earned during his 22 years in a nearly all-white community.

To commemorate Griffon's home site and recognize the community respect he earned, we partnered with the Lane County branch of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People to celebrate one of the city's first African-American residents to develop a historical marker.

"I'm really excited to move this story from oral tradition into a confirmed solid history for our community," said Eric Richardson, president of the local branch of the NAACP. "It's important to remember to look back at where we've been and how things have changed so we can continue to move the ball forward."

The dedication of the sign took place on Feb. 17, 2017, during Black History Month. The sign, photos and text are the result of the contributions of numerous community members and organizations, including the Lane County Historical Museum.