Scam Alert!

We have been notified of fraudulent calls being sent to customers, falsely threatening an interruption in service. If you are concerned about your account status, please call our Customer Service team at 541-685-7000. Learn more about protecting yourself from scams.


Additonal Information

Don't have a social security number?

We can verify your identity with a current passport or government-issued photo ID card. Please visit our office to provide this documentation.

If you don't have a social security number, we require a security deposit equal to two times the highest utility bill at the address where you are applying for service. We will refund this deposit after 12 consecutive months of favorable credit history, or when the account is closed.