Septic system financial assistance
EWEB's septic system financial assistance programs are designed to help homeowners in the McKenzie Watershed
proactively maintain their septic systems and drainfields and make needed repairs to protect water quality.
EWEB will reimburse homeowners upstream of EWEB's drinking water intake 50% of the cost for a
septic system inspection and pump-out, if needed. (Note: Homeowners who have had their systems inspected or
pumped out within the past three years are not eligible. Homeowners will not be reimbursed for the cost
of additives to their system, digging to locate the septic tank or installation of risers.) In addition, EWEB will reimburse 50% of
the cost of minor, necessary septic system repairs that cost up to $300. Limited funds are available
on a first-come, first-served basis. Note: This program is specifically for watershed residents,
NOT commercial businesses.
Homeowners need to use a Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) approved contractor and
provide EWEB with a receipt and copy of the inspection report for reimbursement. For minor repairs,
homeowners must also provide documentation of the work completed. Find DEQ-approved contractors in Lane County. When doing your search,
set the License Status Active and select Lane County from the Location Criteria drop down menu.
EWEB encourages homeowners to get full inspections done for their septic systems, including
locating the distribution box and drainfield and determining whether these components are
properly functioning. See example septic system inspection criteria. However, if homeowners choose only to
get their tank pumped, they should at a minimum, ask for documentation of the following:
- Approximate age of the system
- Type of system
- Size of tank
- Type of tank material
- Condition and integrity of baffles
- Overall condition/integrity of tank
- Diagram of the location of the septic tank, distribution box, and drainfield (if possible) in relation to
the house and rest of the property
- General site evaluation: any drainfield issues, ponding, odors, or other evidence of system failure
- Recommendations for any repairs needed
- Estimate for next service date
Please submit the required documents to:
Please note that reimbursements may take 2-4 weeks to be processed.
500 East Fourth Ave.
PO Box 10148
Eugene, OR 97440-2148
Click the link above for:
- Important information about the loan application
- Application for septic system repair/replacement
- List of frequently asked questions
Loans up to $10,000 are available to homeowners and limited grant funds are available for
Approved loan types
This program is designed to address septic systems that need repairs in order to function properly.
It is not intended for routine maintenance or pumping.
- Repairs to the septic tank, lid, baffles, etc.
- Repairs to the drainfield lines
- Installation of a new tank or drainfield to replace a failing one
Work not covered
- Installing septic system risers
- Work tasks associated with digging up or removing structures that were built on top
of the system (driveways, decks, etc.)
- Landscaping after work is complete
Who can apply?
Homeowners with properties upstream of EWEB's drinking water intake (Hayden Bridge) will be eligible for
loans. For the first couple of years while the septic loan program is being established, priority
will be given to homeowners who participated in EWEB's McKenzie Septic System Assistance program.
Applicants do not have to be EWEB customers.
Email us for more information, or call Nancy Toth at 541-685-7438 or
Karl Morgenstern at 541-685-7365.