Heat pump (hybrid) water heaters
- Limited time offer: Smart Water Heat rebate
Smart Water Heat is offering a rebate on heat pump water heaters that provide
high levels of energy performance in cooler, northern climates. Homeowners in Oregon,
Washington, Idaho and Montana are eligible for the rebate.
- Ongoing promotions
Check out Smart Water Heat's website for the latest promotions in our area. See the
right side of the home page for current offers.
Heat pump water heaters are revolutionizing the way we heat water. Utilizing super-efficient
technology, heat pump water heaters can help cut your electric water heating costs by as much as
25% to 50%.
What is a heat pump water heater?
It's an electric water heater that uses heat pump technology to heat the water inside a tank.
How does a heat pump water heater work?
Imagine a refrigerator working in reverse. While a refrigerator removes heat from an enclosed
box and expels that heat to the surrounding air, a heat pump water heater takes the heat from
surrounding air and transfers it to water in an enclosed tank.
Is a heat pump water heater right for my home?
A heat pump water heater is right for you if:
- Your new heat pump water heater would be located in a garage
- Your garage will isolate sound and cool air generated by the unit
- You currently have a standard electric water heater
- You're not downsizing from a larger size water heater
- You want to be able to control your water heater (some units feature a "vacation mode")
Where can I install a heat pump water heater?
Heat pump water heaters can be installed in a garage that:
- Maintains an average temperature above 40 degrees
- Measures at least 10-feet by 10-feet by 10-feet to provide the unit with adequate air flow
- Will not be affected by the cold, dry air that the unit puts out
- Will not be affected by exposure to noise that the fan(s) and compressor generate when they are
How much money can I save with a heat pump water heater?
In most cases, homeowners can save 25% to 50% per year on their electric water heating costs.
These savings continue for the life of the unit.
What is the "Northern Climate Heat Pump Water Heater Specification" and how does this technology
work in our cooler climate
This specification provides guidance to manufacturers who are interested in developing products that
not only meet ENERGY STAR® criteria but are able to provide high levels of consumer satisfaction
and energy performance in cooler, northern climates. Read more and see a list of qualified
products for our region
Email EWEB's energy
experts or call (541) 685-7000 for more information and to get started.